Utah Courts



Find important information on what to do about your case and where to find help on our Alerts and Information Page due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

En nuestra página Información y alertas encontrará información importante sobre qué hacer en cuanto a su caso y dónde encontrar ayuda debido al impacto del brote de COVID-19.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

Agencies and Organizations - Free Legal Services Organizations

Some Utah organizations provide legal services for free. Many of these organizations look at a person's income to determine whether they qualify for those services. If you do not qualify for help from one of these agencies, visit the Finding Legal Help web page for more ways to find help.

American Civil Liberties Union

American Civil Liberties Union: This nonprofit legal advocacy organization only litigates cases that affect the civil rights or liberties of large numbers of people. The ACLU does not provide direct representation to individuals, unless there is potential to set precedent for civil liberties issues. See their website for information about the types of cases they can review, or call 801-521-9862 ext. 104 to request a civil rights complaint form.

Disability Law Center

Disability Law Center: This private, non-profit organization protects and advocates for the rights of individuals with disabilities. Free services are provided statewide to individuals and families facing disability-related problems, especially in the areas of access and rights, abuse and neglect, education, community services, assistive technology, institutional care, and employment. Services include information on disability law and individual rights, investigation and monitoring in residential facilities; mediation and negotiation; representation in administrative hearings and court proceedings; and self-advocacy support and training.

Call 800-662-9080 for assistance, fill out the online intake form found here: http://disabilitylawcenter.org/online-contact-form/ or visit their office at the Community Legal Center, 205 North 400 West in Salt Lake City.

Immigration Law:

Holy Cross Ministries Immigration Legal Services

Legal assistance in immigration cases is provided, regardless of religious affiliation, to eligible applicants. Appointment required. Contact Susana Acero at 801-261-3440 ext 748.

Catholic Community Services, Immigration Program

Legal assistance with immigration matters is provided, regardless of income or religious affiliation. Free walk-in consultations are available Wednesdays 8:30 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. at 224 North 2200 West in Salt Lake City. Other services are free depending on the circumstances. For more information or to make an appointment, call 801-977-9119 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

International Rescue Committee

Accredited representatives provide family-based assistance with green cards, reunification, citizenship and travel documents (no assistance for undocumented immigrants). Walk-in hours are Fridays between 10:00 and 3:00 at 221 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, UT 84101. For more information call 801-328-1091.

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake is private, non-profit organization that provides free legal representation in Salt Lake County - regardless of income - to victims of domestic violence or stalking who need a protective order or a civil stalking injunction.

They also offer the Assisted Pro Se Program, which includes free limited scope representation to income eligible individuals representing themselves (pro se) in Salt Lake County:

  • Legal advice appointments: Thursdays 1-4 p.m., Matheson Courthouse. Call 801-238-7102 to schedule an appointment
  • Court hearings: Limited scope representation on Commissioner's pro se calendar
  • Mediation: Limited scope representation on Commissioner's pro se calendar
  • Limited scope trials: Limited scope representation at CJA 4-904 informal trials with Commissioner or Judge

Mountain Mediation Center (MMC)

Mountain Mediation Center serves the residents of Summit and Wasatch counties, providing mediation services and other conflict resolution services on a sliding scale basis. Services are offered in English and Spanish. MMC provides free mediation services for all small claims cases and appeals at the Silver Summit courthouse. MMC also offers community mediation services in many areas, including domestic, employer/employee and landlord/tenant disputes. MMC is currently offering assistance to local landlords and tenants in negotiating workable leases to help stabilize the local housing situation. Call 435-336-0060 or visit their website: www.mountainmediation.center.

Native American Disability Law Center

Native American Disability Law Center: Provides legal information, referrals, and legal representation on disability-related issues to Native Americans in the four corners region of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah. Call 800-862-7271 for more information.

People's Legal Aid (PLA)

People's Legal Aid helps defendants facing eviction in Salt Lake City. To qualify for more help, your income must be at or below 80% of Area Median Income ($70,300 for a family of four in Salt Lake City). Over that amount help is available on a sliding scale based on your income. Help is available in English and Spanish, regardless of immigration status. Call or text 801-477-6975, Monday through Friday, between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Rocky Mountain Innocence Center

Rocky Mountain Innocence Center: Works to correct and prevent the conviction of innocent people in Nevada, Utah, and Wyoming. Prisoners or their friends or family may contact the RMIC for a screening packet: 358 South 700 East, B235, Salt Lake City, UT 84102 or go to their website. Call 801-355-1888 for more information.

Small Claims Court Mediation Programs

Small Claims Court Mediation Programs provides mediation services to disputants in small claims cases, prior to court. These programs are available in Salt Lake County, Provo (Utah County), and Park City (Summit County). For more information, contact the numbers given under program descriptions listed above, under the headings for Park City, Provo, and Salt Lake County.


Utah@EASE provides free legal help for veterans, active duty, national guard and reserve servicemembers. They can help with these issues: military rights, creditor/debtor, naturalization/immigration, employment and re-employment, property/landlord, consumer fraud, predatory lending, wills/powers of attorney. Veterans should contact their local veterans service officer (UDVMA, DAV, VFW, American Legion) for a referral. Active duty, national guard and reserve servicemembers should contact their JAG office.

Utah Crime Victims Legal Clinic

Utah Crime Victims Legal Clinic (UCVLC): This organization provides free legal representation to crime victims when victims' rights issues are at stake. UCVLC serves victims of all types of crime in criminal district, justice, juvenile, and appellate courts throughout the state. Visit their website or call 801-746-1204 for more information.

Utah Dispute Resolution

Utah Dispute Resolution: With the help of volunteer mediators, this non-profit organization provides mediation services free or at low cost to people and organizations in the community. No one is denied service because of inability to pay. Some areas of mediation service include divorce, parenting time and plans, landlord and tenant, workplace, and consumer and merchant issues. Bilingual mediators are available in several languages. Mediation is a problem-solving process used to resolve disputes between two or more parties, with the help of an impartial and neutral third party (the mediator). Call 801-532-4841 for information, or visit UDR offices at The Law and Justice Center, 645 South 200 East, in Salt Lake City.

Utah Homicide Survivors

The Utah Homicide Survivors provides legal assistance to families of victims killed by domestic violence. Their mission is to prevent killers from financially profiting from causing death. They provide holistic legal services in probate, civil and family law cases to families of domestic violence murder victims. Visit their website or call 801-500-9077 for more information.

Utah Legal Services

Utah Legal Services: This organization handles civil cases for Utahns with low incomes, and for migrant farm workers and Native Americans. Areas of assistance include family law, housing, public assistance, senior citizen issues, and health benefits. Services include answering questions, providing legal advice, assisting with the preparation of legal documents, and representing clients in court. For more information, call the intake line at 1-800-662-4245 or, if dialing from within the Salt Lake City area, call 801-328-8891. Intake is available in Spanish, as well as English. Normal intake hours are 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Offices are located in Salt Lake, Ogden, Provo, and St. George.

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 8/26/2021
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×